Verbs Followed by Gerunds or Infinitives

Verbs Followed by Gerunds or Infinitives

                      


*These verbs are followed by a gerund or infinitives with no change in meaning:

1-advise.
EX:The teacher advised reading that book.
EX:The teacher advised to read that book.

2-allow.
EX:Some restaurants allow smoking.
EX:Some restaurants allow to smoke.

3-begin(start).
EX:I have begun(started) sleeping.Switch off the lights.
EX:I have begun(started) to sleep.Switch off the lights.

4-cannot bear.
EX:I can't bear seeing you in pain.
EX:I can't bear to see you in pain.

5-continue.
EX:Although she was tired,she continued walking.
EX:Although she was tired,she continued to walk.

6-dislike.
EX:Most people dislike hearing about their faults.
EX:Most people dislike to hear about their faults.

7-forbid.
EX:The law forbids driving over the speed limit.
EX:The law forbids to drive over the speed limit.

8-hate.
EX:I hate talking to bad people.
EX:I hate to talk to bad people.

9-intend.
EX:I intend staying here tonight.
EX:I intend to stay here tonight.

10-like.
EX:None likes being embarrassed in front of others.
EX:None likes to be embarrassed in front of others.

11-love.
EX:I love seeing beautiful girls.
EX:I love to see beautiful girls.

12-need.
EX:This shirt needs ironing.
EX:This shirt needs to be ironed.

13-neglect.
EX:I have neglected doing my job.
EX:I have neglected to do my job.

14-permit.
EX:I don't permit talking without permission.
EX:I don't permit to talk without permission.

15-prefer.
EX:I prefer playing chess.
EX:I prefer to play chess.

*Note:The following verbs are followed by a gerund or infinitives but there is a change in meaning:

1-forget.
EX:I forgot to take the groceries.(I didn't do)
EX:He forgot meeting me at the airport.
(He doesn't remember) 

2-remember.
EX:I remember buying her a present.
(I did in the past)(I have a memory)
EX:I remembered to invite some friends.
(The idea came into my head so I will do in the future)

3-regret.
EX:I regret moving to London.
(I went there but I am not happy)
EX:I regret to tell you the truth.
(I must do unpleasant thing)

4-stop.
EX:I stopped to talk to my teacher.
(I interrupted an action to do another action)
EX:I stopped smoking.(I gave up smoking)
(quit an action or a situation forever)

5-try.
EX:You should try to learn another language.(Encouraging)
EX:I tried driving that car.(I did something for the first time)



 

 









Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »