The Present Simple Tense

The Present Simple Tense
The present simple tense

*Formation:
 It is the first form of a verb. 
The pronouns I-we -you - they +infinitive
EX: I play football.

But the pronouns he-she-it +verb+s/es/ies
EX: He plays football 
-We add (ies) when the verb ends in (Y) preceded by a consonant.
EX:She studies hard
The verb,study, ends in (Y) preceded by a consonant (d) So we omitted it and put  (ies)
-If the verb ends in (Y) preceded by a vowel ,we add (s) only to the verb.
EX: He plays  football.

We add (es) when the verb ends in( o-x-ss-sh-ch ) 
EX:He washes the car 
EX:She goes to school.

* Use:
1-For habits:
EX: I drink milk at breakfast.
EX: They always play football.
EX: I don't eat fish.

2-For repeated actions:
EX:We go to school five days a week.
EX:I usually get up at 7 o'clock.

3-For general truths:
EX:Water freezes at zero degrees.
EX:The sun rises in the east.
EX:Lions don't eat grass.
EX:My father is Belgian.

4-For scheduled future:
EX:The train leaves at 10 o'clock.
Ex:The exam finishes at one o'clock.
 
*Key Words:
(Always - often -sometimes-usually-never-occasionally ) come before verbs but after (Be):

EX:He is always late for school.
EX:They sometimes travel to England

But (every day,morning ,week,month,year) come at the beggining or at the end of the sentence.

EX:Every year,I travel to Italy. 
EX: I travel to Italy every year

Negative:
(I-we-you -they)+don't +verb

EX: You don't come early every day. 

(he-she-it)+doesn't+verb without s/es/ies.

EX;He doesn't like English

Questions:
Yes or no question:
Do+(I-we-you-they)+verb+.........?
Does+(he-she-it)+verb +...............?

EX:Do you eat chicken every day? Yes,I do  or No,I don't

Wh question:
EX:When does he get up ?   He gets up at 7 o'clock.
EX:What do you drink every morning? I drink tea every morning.



 





Share this

Related Posts

First