could/should/have+p.p

could/should/have+p.p



*Could have +p.p.
-It means that I was able to do something in the past but I didn't do it:(There are a lot of causes that make us forbid doing those things)

EX:I could have driven faster but I drove slowly.It's early.
EX:I could have studied hard but I didn't study.I was very lazy and I don't like learning.
EX:She could have travelled overseas but she preferred staying.She doesn't want to travel.

*Note: Couldn't have +p.p means that you wasn't able to do something either you want to do or not.(It was difficult for any reason).

EX:I couldn't have arrived early to school.The streets were very crowded.Here I wanted to arrive on time but i couldn't.


*Should have +p.p.
-It means that i didn't do something in the past although it was a good idea.(It expresses regretting).

EX:You should have driven slowly.This sentence means that I had an accident because I didn't drive slowly.It was a good idea to drive slowly.Here I regretted not driving slowly.

*Note: Shouldn't have +p.p means that I did something in the past that was a bad idea.

EX:He shouldn't have put salt in the food.That means that the food became too salty because he put salt in the food.His mother put salt before he put.He didn't know that his mother put it.It happened mistakenly but at last regretted doing it.

*Would have+p.p.
-It means that I wanted to do something but I didn't.
EX:I would have gone to the cinema.It means that I didn't go to the cinema because I was very busy.

EX:I would have called you.It means that I didn't call him because the mobile didn't work or I didn't have his number.




 
 










EX:

 








Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »